Dr. Fiore holds a joint appointment with the Cognitive Sciences program in the Department of Philosophy and the Institute of Simulation and Training. He earned his Ph.D. in Cognitive Psychology from the University of Pittsburgh (2000) working primarily in the Learning Research and Development Center. He is Director of the Cognitive Sciences Laboratory (CSL), a collaborating research unit affiliated with the Institute for Simulation and Training and the Philosophy Department.
He maintains a multidisciplinary research interest that incorporates aspects of cognitive, social, and organizational theory in the investigation of learning and performance in individuals and teams.
1. Fiore, S. M. (2008). Interdisciplinarity as teamwork: How the science of teams can inform team science. Small Group Research, 39(3), 251-277.
2. Fiore, S. M., McDaniel, R., & Jentsch, F. (in press). Narrative-Based Collaboration Systems for Distributed Teams: Nine Research Questions for Information Managers. Information Systems Management.
3. Fiore, S. M., Salas, E., Cuevas, H. M. & Bowers, C. A. (2003). Distributed coordination space: Toward a theory of distributed team process and performance. Theoretical Issues in Ergonomic Science, 4, 3-4, 340-363.
4. Salas, E., & Fiore, S. M. (Editors). (2004). Team Cognition: Understanding the factors that drive process and performance. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
5. Stagl, K. C., Salas, E., & Fiore, S. M. (2007). Best practices in cross training teams. In D. A. Nembhard (Ed.), Workforce cross training handbook (pp. 156 - 175). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
SoSP Posted Content
Posted: Mar 10, 2016
Hi Everyone - IARPA has a new RFP out that might be of interest to some on the list as it relates to things like Citizen Science.
Posted: Mar 07, 2016
Hi Everyone - I just learned of this from a colleague in another field (Human Factors).
Posted: Mar 03, 2016
Hi Everyone – Can anyone point me to any reports that have looked at something like the average, median, range or whatever of research funding awarded or expended PER FACULTY MEMBER and BY DISCIPLI
Posted: Feb 26, 2016
Good Evening Everyone – I wanted to call attention to some exciting developments in ‘design thinking’. As some of you may be aware, this process has had an increasing influence on a number of fiel
Posted: Feb 21, 2016
Hi Everyone - As gender in science continues to be a significant issue, I wanted to share this annotated bibliography I just came across.
Posted: Feb 16, 2016
Hi Everyone - Part of IBM Research is interested in developing their team science efforts. See below for this opportunity.
Posted: Feb 15, 2016
Hi Everyone - As the journal open access issue has come up periodically on the list, here are some recent articles in that space. Last week, there was an interesting piece in
Posted: Feb 12, 2016
Hi Everyone - if you were going to create an introductory course on "Systems Thinking" for students in an interdisciplinary graduate Ph.D. program, what books would you recommend?
Posted: Jan 09, 2016
Posted: Jan 01, 2016